Amend the bill, as and if amended, Part IB, Section 1A,
DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION - EIA, page 365, after line 19, by
adding an appropriately numbered paragraph to read:
/ For the current fiscal year a student's score on the exit exam may not be used as criterion for graduation and a student must not be required to achieve any minimum score to graduate. An eligible student who previously failed to receive a high school diploma or was denied graduation solely for failing the required exit exam may reenroll in high school and will not have to pass the exit exam in order to receive a high school diploma. The State Board of Education shall waive any conflicting requirements and regulations.
There is created a High School Assessment Study Committee. The study committee must be composed of the following members who will serve without compensation:
(1) one member appointed by the Governor;
(2) one member appointed by the Speaker of the House of Representatives;
(3) one member appointed by the Chairman of the House Education and Public Works Committee;
(4) one member appointed by the President Pro Tempore of the Senate;
(5) one member appointed by the Chairman of the Senate Education Committee;
(6) one member appointed by the State Superintendent of Education, who shall serve as chair of the committee; and
(7) one member appointed by the Chairman of the Education Oversight Committee.
(C) Vacancies in the membership of the study committee must be filled for the remainder of the unexpired term in the manner of original appointment.
The committee must consider whether the High School Assessment Program (HSAP) test should remain the State's accountability assessment or to replace it with a different assessment. Further the committee must suggest an alternative assessment if the committee determines that the HSAP should be replaced and shall review the costs associated with a change of assessments. No later than January 31, 2014 the committee shall make recommendations concerning proposed changes to the Chairman of the House Education and Public Works Committee, the Chairman of the House Ways and Means Committee, the Chairman of the Senate Education Committee and the Chairman of the Senate Finance Committee, at which time the study committee must be dissolved. Staff will be provided by the Senate Education Committee and the House Education Committee
Renumber sections to conform.
Amend totals and titles to conform.