The State House Dome
The dome was added to the State House between 1900 and 1902. Renovations were made to the dome during the 1995-1998 State House Renovation. The exterior of the dome is covered with 44,000 pounds of copper.
The dome viewable from the ceiling of the Main Lobby is a false dome placed there only for aesthetic purposes. It is not the dome that is visible on the exterior of the State House. The false interior dome is located directly beneath the exterior dome, but is offset so it will be in the center of the lobby.
There is a dome room located between the false dome and exterior dome to allow access to the top of the exterior dome for the purpose of raising and lowering the United States and South Carolina flags flown atop the State House.