Download This Version in Microsoft Word format
TO AMEND THE CODE OF LAWS OF SOUTH CAROLINA, 1976, BY ADDING ARTICLE 7 TO CHAPTER 9, TITLE 23 SO AS TO PROVIDE FOR THE TRAINING, REGISTRATION, AND CERTIFICATION OF FIRE-RESISTANT MATERIAL APPLICATORS BY THE STATE FIRE MARSHAL.
Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the State of South Carolina:
SECTION 1. Chapter 9, Title 23 of the 1976 Code is amended by adding:
Section 23-9-710. As used in this article:
(1) 'Fire-resistant material' means cementitious or fibrous materials that are applied onto a surface to provide fire-resistant protection to the substance.
(2) 'Fire-resistant material applicator' means an individual certified to apply fire-resistant material by the State Fire Marshal pursuant to the provisions of this article.
Section 23-9-720. It is unlawful for a person to engage in business as a fire-resistant material applicator in this State without being certified by the State Fire Marshal as provided in this article and otherwise complying with the provisions of this article. A person who violates the provisions of this article must be fined up to two hundred and fifty dollars for each violation.
Section 23-9-730. The State Fire Marshal:
(1) shall develop and implement a certification and certification renewal process for fire-resistant material applicators and a registry of persons certified pursuant to this article;
(2) shall develop requirements for training in applying fire-resistant material according to manufacturer specifications for persons seeking certification as a fire-resistant materials applicator; and
(3) may charge a certification fee and certification renewal fee for persons seeking certification under the provisions of this article; and
(4) shall promulgate regulations and develop rules necessary to implement the provisions of this article.
Section 23-9-740. (A) A person seeking certification as a fire-resistant material applicator successfully shall complete training to apply fire-resistant material according to manufacturer specifications. This training must meet the requirements Section 23-9-730(2) in the judgement of the State Fire Marshal.
(B) When a person satisfactorily completes the training provided in subsection (A), the State Fire Marshal shall issue him a certificate indicating he is certified to apply fire-resistant material.
(C) Registration as a fire-resistant material applicator annually must be renewed.
Section 23-9-750. The State Fire Marshal shall develop a list of grounds for revocation of certification as a fire-resistant material applicator. He may investigate allegations of actions that constitute grounds for such revocation and may revoke certification if in his determination a violation has occurred. The State Fire Marshal also may impose fines for persons who violate the provisions of this article as provided in Section 23-9-720."
SECTION 2. This act takes effect upon approval by the Governor.
This web page was last updated on February 16, 2022 at 1:16 PM