District 2 (Pickens County)
Republican - Pickens
Chairman, Senate Judiciary Committee
101 Gressette Bldg.
Business Phone: (803) 212-6610
P.O. Box 247
Home Phone: (864) 878-6105
Business Phone: (864) 306-2126
Sponsored Bills in the Senate
Sponsored Bills in the House
Service In Public Office
- House of Representatives, 1979 - 1992
- Senate, 1993 - Present
- Textiles, Alice Manufacturing Company
- Residing in Pickens
- Graduate of Pickens High School
- Attended Tri-County Technical College
- Married to Susan Lynn Evatt, 3 children
- Pickens First Baptist Church
- Moderator and Sunday School Teacher
- Past Chairman of Board, South Carolina 4-H Foundation
- President, Pickens County United Way, 1983
- Advisory Board, Pickens First National Bank, 1987-90
- Economic Development Commission, Southern Legislative Conference
- Advisory Board, Rocky Bottom Camp of the Blind
- Board for Partnership & Career Education
- Chairman, Governor's School-to-Work Council, 1997-99
- Tax Study Commission, 1998
- Listed in Outstanding Young Men of America, 1979
- Who's Who in American Politics, 1981-82, 1983-84
- Personalities of the South, 1982-83
- National Federation of Independent Businesses "Guardian of Small Business" Award, 1999
- South Carolina Chamber of Commerce Public Servant of the Year, 2002
- South Carolina Associaiton of Counties "Guardian of Home Rule" Award, 2003
- Anderson-Oconee-Pickens Area Mental Health "Patrick B. Harris Humanitarian Award for Public Service," 2003
- Honorary member, Pickens Rotary Club
- 2004 Legislator of the Year Award by the National Federation of the Blind of South Carolina
- Legislator of the Year for the Senate by the South Carolina Human Services Providers Association, 2005
- National Alliance on Mental Illness "Mental Illness Champion 2006"
- Greenville Hospital System Children's Hospital Development Council "Legislative Advocacy Award for 2006"
- South Carolina Commission for the Blind Legislator of the Year, 2006
- Conservation Voters of South Carolina, 2006 "Conservation Champion"
- South Carolina Manufacturers Alliance "Defender of Manufacturing 2007" Award
- Fraternal Order of Police, "2007 Senator of the Year"
- South Carolina Apartment Association, "2007 Legislator of the Year"
- Chairman, Joint Study Committee on Criminal Domestic Violence
- Home Builders Association of South Carolina, "2008 Hammer & Trowel Award"
- Palmetto Family Council, "2008 Legislator of the Year"
- Special recognition of service by South Carolina Baptist Convention, November 2008
- South Carolina REALTORS, "2009 Legislator of the Year"
- South Carolina Education Association Friend of Education, 2011