Download This Version in Microsoft Word format
TO AMEND SECTION 59-111-20, CODE OF LAWS OF SOUTH CAROLINA, 1976, RELATING TO FREE COLLEGE TUITION FOR THE CHILDREN OF CERTAIN WARTIME VETERANS, SO AS TO EXPAND AVAILABILITY OF THE FREE TUITION PROGRAM BY REVISING ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS.
Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the State of South Carolina:
SECTION 1. Section 59-111-20(A) of the 1976 Code is amended to read:
A child Up to four children of a wartime veteran, upon application to and approval by the South Carolina Department of Veterans Affairs, may be admitted to any state-supported college, university, or post high school technical education institution free of tuition so long as his work and conduct is satisfactory to the governing body of the institution, if the veteran was a resident of this State at the time of entry into service and during service or has been a resident of this State for at least one year and still resides in this State or, if the veteran is deceased, resided in this State for one year before his death, and provided the veteran served honorably in a branch of the military service of the United States during a war period, as those periods are defined by Section 101 of Title 38 of the United States Code and:
(1) was killed in action;
(2) died from other causes while in the service;
(3) died of disease or disability resulting from service;
(4) was a prisoner of war as defined by Congress or Presidential proclamation during such war period;
(5) is permanently and totally disabled, as determined by the Veterans Administration from any cause;
(6) has been awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor;
(7) is missing in action;
(8) the applicant is the child of a deceased veteran who qualified under items (4) and (5); or
(9) has been awarded the Purple Heart for wounds received in combat. ""
SECTION 2. This act takes effect upon approval by the Governor.
This web page was last updated on March 10, 2022 at 2:55 PM