Download This Bill in Microsoft Word format
A181, R198, H4646
Sponsors: Reps. Bingham, Allison, Anthony and Hayes
Document Path: l:\council\bills\ms\7391ab14.docx
Introduced in the House on February 18, 2014
Introduced in the Senate on March 27, 2014
Last Amended on April 29, 2014
Passed by the General Assembly on May 1, 2014
Governor's Action: May 16, 2014, Signed
Summary: Governors School for Science and Mathematics
HISTORY OF LEGISLATIVE ACTIONS
Date Body Action Description with journal page number ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 2/18/2014 House Introduced and read first time (House Journal-page 13) 2/18/2014 House Referred to Committee on Education and Public Works (House Journal-page 13) 3/25/2014 House Committee report: Favorable Education and Public Works (House Journal-page 10) 3/26/2014 House Read second time (House Journal-page 63) 3/26/2014 House Roll call Yeas-103 Nays-0 (House Journal-page 63) 3/27/2014 House Read third time and sent to Senate (House Journal-page 20) 3/27/2014 Senate Introduced and read first time (Senate Journal-page 9) 3/27/2014 Senate Referred to Committee on Education (Senate Journal-page 9) 4/16/2014 Senate Committee report: Favorable with amendment Education (Senate Journal-page 12) 4/29/2014 Senate Committee Amendment Adopted (Senate Journal-page 33) 4/29/2014 Senate Read second time (Senate Journal-page 33) 4/29/2014 Senate Roll call Ayes-38 Nays-1 (Senate Journal-page 33) 4/30/2014 Senate Read third time and returned to House with amendments (Senate Journal-page 36) 5/1/2014 House Concurred in Senate amendment and enrolled (House Journal-page 46) 5/1/2014 House Roll call Yeas-99 Nays-0 (House Journal-page 47) 5/15/2014 Ratified R 198 5/16/2014 Signed By Governor 5/27/2014 Effective date 05/16/14 6/2/2014 Act No. 181
View the latest legislative information at the website
VERSIONS OF THIS BILL
(A181, R198, H4646)
AN ACT TO AMEND SECTION 59-48-20, AS AMENDED, CODE OF LAWS OF SOUTH CAROLINA, 1976, RELATING TO MEMBERS OF THE BOARD OF TRUSTEES OF THE GOVERNOR'S SCHOOL FOR SCIENCE AND MATHEMATICS, SO AS TO PROVIDE THAT A PROVOST OR VICE PRESIDENT OF ACADEMIC AFFAIRS WHO MUST SERVE AS AN EX OFFICIO MEMBER MAY DESIGNATE A PERSON TO SERVE IN HIS PLACE IF HE INTENDS FOR THE DESIGNEE TO SERVE CONTINUOUSLY.
Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the State of South Carolina:
Members from research universities may serve through designee
SECTION 1. Section 59-48-20 of the 1976 Code, as last amended by Act 176 of 2012, is further amended to read:
"Section 59-48-20. (A)(1) The school is under the management and control of a board of trustees consisting of eleven members, as follows:
(a) one member from each congressional district appointed by the Governor;
(b) two members from this State at large appointed by the Governor;
(c) the State Superintendent of Education, ex officio, or his designee; and
(d) the Executive Director of the Commission on Higher Education, ex officio, or his designee.
(2) Members appointed by the Governor shall serve for four years and until their successors are appointed and qualify. Members shall receive mileage, subsistence, and per diem allowed by law for members of state boards, committees, and commissions.
(3) In his appointments, the Governor shall seek to obtain the best qualified persons from the business, industrial, and educational communities, including mathematicians and scientists.
(B) The board of trustees also shall include the following six members:
(1) the President of the South Carolina Governor's School of Science and Mathematics Foundation, Inc., ex officio;
(2) the provost or vice president for academic affairs from each of the following higher education research institutions, ex officio, or his designee:
(a) Clemson University;
(b) the University of South Carolina; and
(c) the Medical University of South Carolina; and
(3) two members from the State at large appointed by the Governor to serve for terms of four years each and until their successors are appointed and qualify. Vacancies must be filled by appointment in the manner of original appointment for the remainder of the unexpired term.
(C) An ex officio member who is authorized to designate a person to serve on the board in his stead only may make the designation if he intends for the designee to serve continuously instead of intermittently with himself or another designee."
SECTION 2. This act takes effect upon approval by the Governor.
Ratified the 15th day of May, 2014.
Approved the 16th day of May, 2014.
This web page was last updated on July 24, 2014 at 3:17 PM